Wednesday, May 11, 2011

3 King's

“You do know that’s a Drake Can, right?”

Growing up, one of my favorite classes in high school was "History" taught by Mr. Bedford. In Pennsylvania, just north of Pittsburgh, history was all around me with Civil War fields, The Erie Canal, George Washington camp sites and French Creek. I was always fascinated with how things began and the stories that could be told by them.

Even though I grew up about 45 miles south of Lake Erie, I’d never been waterfowling as a kid. My father owned a small outdoor store called “Murphy’s Rod & Gun” in Meadville, Pa. I can remember as a kid hunting deer, rabbit and squirrel, but never waterfowl. No clue why, as a half mile away from the house I grew up in was Woodcock Lake. I’d always see duck’s and geese on the lake while bass fishing as a boy during the hot humid summer’s and remember a few duck blinds along the old road that ran near it.


READ MORE of this story by Jon Murphy

No comments: