Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dawn Till Dusk

Central Minnesota:
Well this is my first post and i hope you all enjoy what i am writing.
Well last night one of my hunting buddies gave me a call and asked if i wanted to do a little duck hunting in the morning and the obvious answer was a big "Yes". So 4:00 a.m. rolls around and i wake up have a few cups of coffee to wake up a little, check the weather and make sure its all the same as it was when i went to bed 5 hours earlier, and it was, got the truck loaded up and i was on my way. About 10 minutes into the drive I look into the rear view and what do i see? The red and blues of a local sheriffs car so i pull over and we go over the usual routine license and registration and all was in order. Turns out my speedometer is a few miles off of what its supposed to be and i had been speeding. The sheriff let me off with a written warning and i was on my way again.
I get to the meeting spot before the 30 minute drive and i see we are one man short. I asked where he was and it turns out he bailed on us the night before. So we were down to 3 of the original 4. We get out the the boat landing unload the canoes and we were on our journey in less then 15 minutes. After a 10 minute canoe ride we get to the "Hot Spot". We set out the decoys and wait for shooting time. The lighter it got the more hunters we end up seeing, there were 5 different groups on the side of the lake we were on alone. So we decide to try it out since we set out about 8 dozen decoys. We were spread out by quite a bit so there was no chance of people getting mad about anything.
There was quite a bit of birds flying around so we figured it would be a good day. About 45 minutes after we get set up the first bird of the day drops right into the decoys, no calling was needed, this bird was committed and i thought "Yes I'm gonna get the first bird of the day". Wrong, i stood up took aim and shot. I missed! I also missed with my second shot and that lucky duck got to live another day. There was a ton of shooting around us and we got a good deal of shooting in also. At about 11:00 we had 10 birds on the ground and things were looking pretty good, until we saw the conservation officer coming over to us. We all unloaded our guns and got out our licenses before they got there to get things rolling quicker. We were all legal and everything checked out. A bit of small talk and we were informed that we were the only ones with any birds on the ground out of all the people he checked. That made us feel pretty good. We kept hunting until about 12:30 and all decided to pack up for the day and head home. We ended up with 16 ducks in total, 2 short of our three man limit.
We get back home and clean the ducks they take their limits and i take the remaining four. I start heading home and get a phone call to go do some more hunting on another lake. I decided i might as well try to get my limit filled and back onto the water i went. When we were setting up decoys we had a hen Mallard locked up into our decoys until she saw us sitting in the middle of the spread, flared, and flew away. We sat around for about and hour and all of a sudden a big Drake Mallard was heading straight for us flew about 15 yards from us and then we folded him. That was the only bird of the afternoon. We loaded up and went back to the landing, loaded the boat on the trailer, and we were done for the day.
One of the most "eventful" days of hunting for me by far. Just goes to show you even if the day starts off bad it can always turn out to be a great day. And to me, every day i can hunt is a great day.


matt13 said...

where in central Mn did all this take place? what types of ducks were you mostly seeing?


Matt McBroom said...

It was about 30 miles north of wilmar minnesota. We saw some redheads, cans, buffies, mals, a few teal, a few pintails, gadwall, goldeneyes, and a few ringbills. We shot some cans, redheads, buffies, mals, and ringbills. It was a real fun hunt. Quite a few geese flew over but the mojo's made them flare at about 70 yards.